Friday 30 January 2015

Seoul - sleepless city!


There are many places that can claim to be cities which never sleep, but Seoul was probably the first place that really felt that way.

I visited Seoul for a few days to see some old university friends, and also to make some new friends. My buddy was starting his military service so I think he was definitely ready to show me the nightlife of Seoul during his last days of freedom... Lucky me!

許多城市都自稱不夜城,但首爾是首個讓我覺得名副其實的不夜城。
我到訪首爾數天,見了老朋友,也認識了新朋友。老朋友正準備當兵,幸運的我得以在他仍保有自由之身時由他當地陪,見識了首爾夜晚之美。




So what do I think of Seoul... I love it, probably on the list of my favourite cities, but not without a few caveats. So I was staying in a pretty international part of the city, next to a U.S military base no less, and certainly it had a real international vibe, especially while in itaewon - the so called international town. Here the population was easily over 50% international residents with lots of American accents to be heard. But even here there is a real feeling of knowing I'm a foreigner and us-and-them. 

Overall It was a great time with many friendly people. Apparently when I try to say thank you it sounds very funny, because every shop keeper had a little giggle afterwards :D (maybe I'm just super cute)...

I digress...

So the first place I visited was a cat café, even with my unnatural love of the feline species, I've actually never been to a cat café, so I was pretty excited! And this place only slightly disappointed me... But not in the way you would expect. The cats were lovely, and they clearly really looked after the cats, but I guess I was hoping for a better actual cafe experience. Which to be fair is expecting a bit too much.

首爾在某些前提下,屬於我鍾愛城市名單內。我住在首爾較為國際化的區域--離美軍基地僅數步之遙,在此人口大半是來自全球五湖四海的人們,美國腔四處可聞。即使這樣,我在這裡依然有種外來者的感覺。

我到埗後第一站就去了一家貓咖啡,貓兒被照顧得很好,也很友善,但或許我以一般的咖啡室要求去檢視這間貓咖啡,我想是我要求太多了。



CAT PICTURES


The cats... Were too cute, and being a cat owner for many many years I know the secret to attracting cats. While the other café guests were not having my luck, I ended up with two cats asleep on me... What's my secret... Well.. That's a secret ;)
Lots of toys and things for the cats to jump on
First of all this guy arrived, had a short petting and then fell asleep :D
Then this little guy joined for a warm nap!


I couldn't really move ^^
So this cat cafe (Y cat cafe) can be found here [Their website], just remember to take your shoes off before you go in. When I arrived I was greeted by very friendly staff, luckily they spoke English, but the system is pretty simple, just pay for a latte which costs around £5-6 (depending on current exchange rate ofc) and then sit with the cats!

They have some other rules about not picking the cats, no pulling tails... etc.... but its all pretty obvious. I think you can buy some treats for them but I wasn't able to riddle out how to ask for it - and to be honest I already had my two minions so I wasn't bothered :D.

He looks like he's part of my T-shirt hehe

Now enjoy some more pictures of the cats, tune in next time for talk about food and soju bombs.















No comments:

Post a Comment